Monday, March 16, 2015

New Design

Top: initial design/structure.
Bottom: possible design cross section. 
As I research about the materials that I could possibly use for the chew, I have learned a lot of things. I have looked for different materials for connecting it to clothing. It is kind of hard to have an adhesive that doesn't need something permanently attached to clothing.

The different materials I have looked into includes Velcro, buttons, and suspender clips. All three of these materials all have cons to them. Velcro would have to have one side of the Velcro attached to the shirt.This may work later on but would require more work to put Velcro on every shirt. Buttons would also have to have something attached to the piece of clothing. Suspender clips would not need that, but it would require a metal piece near the child's face, and that is typically not safe. Also, if the child accidentally chews on the clip, it would not be good for their teeth either. 

I also have been looking for absorbent cloths and waterproof materials for the product as well. I need absorbent cloths because chewing typically produces a lot of saliva, and usually, kids' clothes soak that up. But in case the absorbent layer doesn't soak up everything I would have a protective layer of plastic or something to prevent their actual clothes get wet. 

I plan on continuing to look for different adhesives and absorbent materials that would be better for the product. Lots of work still needs to be done before I can start making that actual product in real life. I never realized how difficult and how much work needs to be put in a product. I will appreciate products more and more, as I see how much work needs to be put into anything. 

1 comment:

  1. These are some good ideas, but i can see how their might me some pros and cons to the process. However, have you tried thinking of possibly just using a renewable collar that clips in the back of the neck? I don't know if that is much help, but I like where you are taking your project and can't wait to see your progression. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete